The statistics surrounding childhood hunger are staggering …
- 1 out of 5 K-8 teachers say they regularly see children come to school hungry.
- 16 million kids (that equals 1 out of 5) in America live in a household without consistent access to adequate and nutritious food.
- More than 20 million kids get free or reduced-price school lunch, but only 9.8 million (fewer than half) get free or reduced-price school breakfast.
Wondering what you can do to help support Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign? Here are a few ideas to get you started.
Dine Out for No Kid Hungry in September
September is national Dine Out for No Kid Hungry month. During the month, restaurants across the country will be donating a percentage of proceeds from meals purchased. Money raised will:
- Connect kids to nutritious meals where they live, play and learn.
- Support school breakfast and summer meal programs.
- Help low income families learn how to cook healthy meals on a budget.
- Raise awareness of childhood hunger in America.
Since its creation in 2008, Dine Out for No Kid Hungry has raised more than $28 million to help end childhood hunger. Some of the participating restaurants include Arby’s, Denny’s, Joe’s Crab Shack, IHOP and Dairy Queen. Click here to find participating restaurants in your area.
Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville Cafes and LandShark Bar & Grills in select locations are also participating in Dine Out for No Kid Hungry. From September 14-30, 2015, a portion of proceeds from all Volcano Nacho sales will be donated to No Kid Hungry.
Use your Citi Card to Dine Out
Citi is working with No Kid Hungry to help fight childhood hunger in the U.S. Citi Diamond Preferred credit card holders can help contribute to No Kid Hungry simply by dining out and using their Citi card.
Once you enroll your city Diamond Preferred Card, every time you spend $5 or more dining out through December 31, 2015, Citi will donate $1 to No Kid Hungry – up to $500,000.
How it works:
- Enroll your card here.
- Use your enrolled card every time you dine out now through December 32, 2015.
- Citi will donate $1 to No Kid Hungry – up to $500,000 – each time you dine out and spend $5 or more with your enrolled card.
Please click here to learn more about what Citi is doing to support No Kid Hungry and their initiative to end childhood hunger.
At Citiprivatepass.com, you can learn more about, and purchase tickets to, Citi’s premier Taste of the Nation and No Kid Hungry dinner events.
You can also donate directly to No Kid Hungry by visiting the site right here. Just $1 = 10 meals.
About Share Our Strength
Share Our Strength has become one of America’s most effective nonprofits, winning acclaim for its visionary efforts in establishing corporate partnerships tailored to achieve each company’s business objectives. Please visit ShareOurStrength.org to learn more about the organization or to make a donation.
Get Social with Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry
National sponsors of No Kid Hungry include: OpenTable, Citi, Food Network, National Restaurant Association, Ecolab, Smithfield and Aryzta/Otis Spunkmeyer.